Guillermo Pérez Villalta
Tarifa, Cadiz. 1948.
In 1966 he began studying architecture in Madrid, which he abandoned to devote himself fully to painting. A trip he made in 1975 to Italy, where he has returned on numerous occasions, along with a growing interest in the classical tradition of art, leads him to a painting where the mannerist resources coexist with a classical iconography in a very architectural environment. In the seventies he was considered one of the capital artists of the so-called “new Madrid figuration”. In 1985 he received the National Prize of Plastic Arts and the Medal of Andalusia and in 1994 the Prize of Plastic Arts of Andalusia. In 2006 he was awarded the Gold Medal of Fine Arts.
The work of this artist has always been linked to the purest artistic conception. The great myths that have made fortune throughout history are taken up again by Pérez Villalta to form a symbolic iconography where the most unexpected issues have an unforeseen relationship, with impossible developments, to the point of transcending the purest essence of Western spirituality. It is a complex and significant staging with the most varied elements, where the broadest expressive resources are juxtaposed.
His work is part of the most important museums and public institutions, such as MNCARS (Madrid), Artium (Vitoria), CAAC (Seville), Museo Patio Herreriano (Valladolid), Museo Marugame Hirai (Japan) or The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (New York), among others.