Miguel Ángel Campano
Madrid, Spain, 1948- Cercedilla, Spain, 2018.
After a few beginnings linked to automatism, around 1973 his painting entered the field of geometric abstraction, under the influence of the artists from Cuenca, such as Gerardo Rueda and Gustavo Torner. Once settled in Paris in 1976, he abandoned rigid geometric schemes for a gestural abstraction, in the line of action painting. In the eighties his style was dualized: on the one hand, he practiced an abstract painting of greater simplification and stripping and, on the other, a painting of extreme naturalism. Passionate about the history of painting, his work is organized into series that refer to great painters of the modern tradition, such as Delacroix or Cézanne, or Poussin’s classicism. Along the same lines, he reinterprets cubism in Mallorcan still lifes and landscapes. In recent years his painting evolved towards a greater formal and chromatic stripping.
Miguel Ángel Campano was considered since the eighties as one of the protagonists of the Spanish pictorial revolution. He won the National Prize for Plastic Arts in 1996 and in 1999 the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía recognized him with a great exhibition.
His work is part of museums and public collections such as the Artium Centro-Museo Vasco de Arte Contemporáneo (Vitoria), Los Bragales Collection (Santander), MNCARS Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía (Madrid), Center Georges Pompidou (Paris) or Fundación Juan March (Madrid).